Monday, May 08, 2006

It's Running Again







Ok, I have put the gas tank back in and the car started right-up. Before I installed the tank I did put new fuel line and clamps on. I had lots of problems finding hardware to put the tank back in, but thanks to Lowes and some creative thinking I managed to create some new body clips to hold the straps to the body. The originals broke and they are a part that is no longer available. I am also replacing any bolts with grade 8 bolts when I can. The local hardware store is going out of business, so I have been able to get some good deals on the bolts. By the way, it sucks putting a gas tank back in by yourself.
I Include some pictures of what the area looked like before and after. I scuffed the area with a 3M pad and removed any of the "flaky" rust. I then wiped it done with some 3M metal prep and proceeded to paint the area with some Silver Bullet. (Visit rustbullet.com) for more info on the product. The stuff required 2 coats as the manufacturer recommended and I then waited 24 hours for the stuff to cure and sprayed it with some flat black. It doesn't look to bad for the area that I did. I am doing sections at a time, so nobody give me a hard time about the areas that are not done. I have been gathering several pieces for the suspension, so hopefully by the next post I'll be able to show you what I have done with that.

No comments: