Monday, April 07, 2008

JUST A BIG AIR PUMP



That's all an engine is. It's one big air pump. How efficient it is will dictate how much power you can produce. Can I produce this power that I am seeking? I have no clue, but I am giving it a try. The picture shows my latest score on Ebay. $22.00 for the pistons and rods. The connecting rods are some Ford pieces, but look at Carroll Shelby and his ability to wind-up those small blocks of old. He did it with stock rods. The pistons are almost new. The guy I bought them from went with a forged bottom end because he was going to use nitrous..a lot of it. They are 9 to 1 compression and with the heads that I have they should yield about 9.8 to 1 or maybe 10 to 1. I have about 8.4 to 1 right now stock. Right there I should pick-up about a 5% increase in horsepower if nothing else changes. That is a compression only figure. That does not include the fact that I'll pick-up about 50HP from the heads alone. The rods and pistons weighed in at 2.85. One rod and piston was 2.90, but I shaved some of the rod to get it to the 2.85 of the others. Yes, I am going to do my best to balance the motor. I don't have all the fancy equipment, but I can get real close.

No comments: